Give your child a chance to realize their potential
By enrolling your child with Big Brothers Big Sisters, you give them a chance to see their unlimited potential and develop into even more responsible, successful, well-rounded individuals.
a big impact on your child starts with you
As a parent, you recognize the potential of your child better than anyone. By giving them the opportunity to be a part of Big Brothers Big Sisters, you’re starting them down a path to an even brighter, more promising future.
Making the best possible match between Little and Big is critical to the growth and development of a child. Big Brothers Big Sisters provides child safety tips to you and your child, and we welcome your questions and feedback. Throughout the life of the match, our professional staff will be in ongoing communication with you, your child, and your child’s Big. It’s the best way to build a safe and strong relationship that will have the greatest impact on your child’s future success. Before we begin the matching process, we start by thoroughly screening potential Bigs. BBBSMC has rigorous standards and requires each volunteer to complete an extensive screening process that includes:
- Completion of a formal written application
- Background and reference checks
- An in-person interview and professional assessment of the volunteer’s suitability to work with a child
- An orientation and training process that outlines the individualized needs of your child and provides information and resources on how to encourage your child’s development
- Assessment of the Volunteer’s home environment for Community Based matches
- Professional matching recommendation
Families as Partners
When it comes to the future of our children and the well-being of our communities, we’re all in this together. So it should come as no surprise that we need the parents and guardians of Littles to be involved every step of the way, starting with the initial match. Not only will you provide information about your child’s strengths and needs, but you’ll also approve the selection of the Big Brother or Big Sister. Once the match is made, you remain closely involved in many ways, including:
- Approving activities and outings for your child and their Big
- Asking your child questions about those outings, and sharing what you learn with the agency staff
- Reporting your child’s progress and milestones to the agency on a regular basis (Big Brothers Big Sisters will contact you, but we welcome your feedback any time)
- Participating in training on child safety offered by Big Brothers Big Sisters staff, and communicating with your child about the training he or she receives
Our Littles are:
Tell us about your Child
First, you’ll complete our online child intake form so we can learn about your child.
Complete Orientation & Interview
We’ll come to your home to complete an orientation and detailed interview with both you and your child. This is where you can share preferences about the type of Big you think will be the best fit.
After the interview our professionally trained staff will assess your child and suggest a Big, taking your preferences into account.
Meet your Big
Once you agree to the match, your Match Support Specialist and the Big will come to your home where you will meet the Big, review rules, goals and plans for the first few outings.